Sunday, March 5, 2017

What is your WHY?

Why?  It is a three letter word that many of us use but do we truly reflect on what it is asking.  Why  refers to the reasons you make certain choices.  For example, why do you follow rules; it is fear of punishment or is it the little voice in your head? Why did you study for a test?  Do you value your education and want to do well, or are you fearful of letting your teacher, parents or yourself down? 

In 2003 I entered the MAT program at Bellarmine University.  Teaching wasn't my first profession but I felt a calling to be a steward to children, and I felt I could best do that in the classroom.  As a student I had experienced exceptional teachers as well as not so exceptional teachers.  Before I even entered my first classroom I knew the teacher I wanted to be.  I wanted to motivate my students.  I wanted to put a fire in them for learning.  I wanted to teach them not only the standards that were needed in the grade level for each subject but also to teach them lessons they would forever remember.  I wanted to be the teacher that they would never forget, that they trusted and that would mold them into the productive citizen that society would need.  The bottom line is I wanted to EMPOWER my students.   

As a student, I was what we would call a Tier 3.  I had great parents who would do anything to help me succeed but I wasn't motivated to work hard and my teachers never really demonstrated the purpose to work hard; or maybe I just didn't listen.  Don't get me wrong I had some great teachers, some that I try to live up to on a daily basis.  However, there was still a disconnect with me as a student and them as the teacher. 

In 2015, after my tenth year teaching I felt I was getting stale in my craft.  I was still teaching but the once joy that I had was starting to fizzle out.  After much thought I decided to make a change in grade levels and it was the best decision of my life. 

"When you can't change the direction of the wind - adjust your sails." - H. Jackson Brown Jr.

As the 2016-2017 school year began I had so much positive energy and I was looking forward to using that energy to move my students to new heights.  It was this year that I accepted an invitation to attend ECET2Lou.  For those of you that don't know that is, let me explain.  ECET stands for Elevating and Celebrating Effective Teachers & Teaching.  It is a conference for teachers by teachers.  At this day and a half conference I was able to network with many teachers around my district.  It was also this weekend that got me back to, "My Why!" 

I could have chosen any profession, but teaching selected me.  I wanted to make a difference in a child's life.  I wanted to be their cheerleader when they needed one, a shoulder to lean on when they felt they weren't strong enough and their voice when they felt no one was listening.  As a teacher I am a public servant.  It is my duty to tie my service to what drives me and what I want my vision to be.  When we empower our students we empower ourselves, and the most powerful experiences are when the magic happens in the classroom. 

When a child reads for the first time, it is because a teacher never gave up.  When a child computes a math problem correctly, it is because a teacher never gave up.  When a child gets a 36 on their ACT it is because a teacher never gave up.  In today's society it is easy for teachers to get the blame for everything that is going wrong in the world.  But what about congratulating a teacher for never giving up on their students? What about thanking a teacher for the long hours they put in, long nights they spend planning for the next day and tears they shed for the students they love. 

I have created this blog to empower teachers that will them empower their students.  Each post will include a quote to remind you of the calling you accepted when you entered the wonderful profession of education.  I will share my ideas, failures and successes.  

Remember, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how much we become the blame, the truth is, "those who can, do and those who can do more TEACH!"


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment