Sunday, July 9, 2017

Summer...a time of reflection

One can use any search engine and find multiple funny pictures about teachers and their summer break.  Most of them center around the idea that without summer vacation teachers would lose their mind.  I read one the other day that said, "It's Friday!!  Oh wait, I'm a teacher and its summer time.  I have "Friday" everyday until mid August.  The rest of you enjoy going back to work on Monday though...."

While all teachers laugh and agree with this I challenge all educators to not laugh or lessen themselves to a joke.  As educators we have the toughest job, not only do we have rigorous material and common core standards to assist students in mastering but we also have to mold students into responsible and respectful young adults.  So how do we do this?  How is this accomplished? Summer vacation.

Teacher utilize their summer vacation to reflect on their previous year and decide what was working and what needs to be revamped.  We use this time to plan for the little minds that will enter our classroom excited for learning and the few that will challenge us to continue to grow. 

So while the world is correct that teachers enjoy their summer break....please don't get it wrong.  I have spent my time off this summer not only spending it with the children that I brought into this world, but planning for the ones who are the reason I was brought into this wonderful world of teaching. 

Happy Summer Educators

No comments:

Post a Comment