Friday, March 10, 2017

What makes a good teacher, GREAT?

Think back to the first day you were a student.  What was your teachers name?  Did he/she greet you at the door?  Did he/she make you feel special, inspired and important?  I will never forget my first teacher.  Her name was Sr. Louis and to put it plainly I do not have many good memories from that school year.  I spent most of my recess time twiddling my thumbs.  I was spanked, taped to my desk, I remember always feeling stupid and I knew I wasn't her favorite!

My first grade experience put a very sour taste in my mouth but luckily for me it didn't last long.  My second and third grade teachers were loving, made me feel smart and challenged me in a way that was appropriate for my learning style.  I could go through all my school years but I'm sure it was very similar to most people.  It was filled with field trips, experiences, love notes passed at recess and moments that you wish you could repeat over and over.  I wonder though now, as a teacher, did my teachers reflect on their relationships with me? 

In my classroom I am constantly reflecting.  Reflecting on how I taught a lesson, what I need to do differently, or how I handled a classroom issue.  My goal is to always create a lasting relationship with my students, but how can I know if my goal was met? 

Some of the ways I create those lasting relationships are laughing with my students, being "human", inspiring them, having a passion in my lesson and empathizing with them.  Students sometimes put their teachers on a pedestal.  You think I'm wrong; bump into a student at the grocery store, the look on their face is as if they just saw BIG FOOT!  They need to see you laugh, and laugh with them often.  Show your "human" side.  What do I mean by that? Don't be afraid to show them at your most vulnerable state. 

My first teaching assignment was in a West Louisville Elementary School in a neighborhood that was plagued by violence.  I remember worrying about my students on a daily basis. One day in the classroom two of the boys got in a fight and I can remember after the fight had ended that I started to cry.  My tears really confused them because I think they were shocked to see this reaction.  I told the students that I was crying because there is so much violence in their neighborhood and I worry that one day I will read about their life ending too early.  My tears didn't end the problem but the kids knew I valued them, and this was the beginning of a lasting relationship.  You see I looped those students the next year.  As the 2016-2017 school year comes to an end that group of students are preparing for High School graduation.  It just so happens that several of them have stayed in contact with me.  This evening I noticed one of the students had posted his Senior picture and had a caption that said, "For all the Haters who thought I couldn't do it."  Well you know I had to comment.  And my comment was this, "You will forever be that little boy with dimples who talked too much in class but always made your teacher smile.  I never doubted your ability and I'm so proud of you."  To which he replied, "Thanks Mom!"  If you are in education you know that your students call you mom by mistake all the time but to have a High School Senior still refer to their third and fourth grade teacher as "MOM," that's when you stop reflecting about building relationships because now you know you are doing it right. 

To all the students I have taught and all the students who haven't walked through my door yet know this, once you have been a student of mine you will always be "my kid" and I will always be your....cheerleader, voice, support and MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment