Thursday, March 9, 2017

BELIEVE



We all have those days when we feel like we let our students or ourselves down.  We question ourselves and our teaching.  Did I teach that lesson to the best of my abilities?  Did I engage all my students?  Did I make sure that I reached all students and their learning styles? 

New teachers and friends who are not in education always ask me what is the hardest part about being in the classroom.  My answer is always the same; the hardest part of teaching is when you think you did everything right and then after an assessment you look at the data and realize you didn't move all the students.  Some may think that moving ALL students is a pretty lofty goal, but it is my reality.  I truly believe that every SINGLE student has the ability to improve.  Students will work hard for a teacher who believes in them, loves them and treats them as their equal. 

I create a classroom climate built on trust, respect and love.  I love all of my students, especially the tough ones because those are the ones who need it the most.  When we show them love without conditions they feel safe enough to fail.  I have a saying in my room, "You are NEVER wrong, you are either RIGHT or you LEARN!"  I heard a coach say something similar to a team before they went on a court and I thought, wow that is really powerful.  The athletes knew as they broke out of the huddle that no matter what the outcome their coach was proud of them for giving their best effort. 

Today, my 5th grade students took a Math Proficiency.  My goals for the students were pretty high and they didn't quite make them.  As many students asked about their scores they could tell I was disappointed.  One student looked at me and said, "Ms. Wilson, I am sorry we let you down." I was broken by this response and I felt horrible that I had put so much pressure on them.  For the rest of the day I decided to not look at what they didn't do, but to focus on what they did do!  For example, many students came out of Novice and moved to Apprentice.  Some of my ECE, ELL and at-risk kids made improvements. 

Good things come to those who Believe, Better things come to those who are Patient and the best things come to those who don't give up.  I told all my students today that I was proud of their hard work.  I was proud of them not giving up.  I also reminded them with patience we would all reach our goals. 

Always believe in your students, always help them achieve their goals, always push them to be the best form of their self.   But whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. 







No comments:

Post a Comment